Unable to add aws credential to juju client

I’ve used juju a bit, and now wanted to hook up my AWS credential

just seem to be hitting a wall here…

Here is what I did so far

I got a ubuntu one account successfully, logged into it via the ubuntu SSO…

I got to step #3

and it was clear I had not yet attached the AWS credential to my juju controller (or the jaas controller)

so I went into this tutorial

but on the step I just cannot get… past the credential update or add step… any ideas appreciated

1 Like

Can you paste the content of your cred.yaml file (with the secret key redacted)?

It seems some field was missing

I was watching in a shared screen the process as @emcp was trying out the @timClicks tutorial in preparation of workshops.

Unfortunately, we couldn’t make it past the first 2 steps because of multiple issues. I took a few notes and we are going to try again today.

I think the tutorial have to be updated @timClicks and I can help with that once we can get through it ourselves =D

Also, this post is a great example of how error messages from juju are an issue in them self. Thanx @emcp for taking the time to post it here.

Sorry to hear about your problems @emcp. These kinds of issues can be extremely frustrating.

One thing to try is juju autoload-credentials.

@erik-lonroth I will wait for your notes and make updates to the tutorial ASAP

2 Likes

We followed the guide here. https://juju.is/docs/aws-cloud

No luck.

Thanx Tim, it’s a great tutorial and with help of @emcp we’ll probably be able to discover more issues as we go through it.

By Monday, I hope I can have a video out covering a stripped down version of the tutorial.

2 Likes

thanks to help from @erik-lonroth , I added --debug and saw that there was a successful initiation of the credential afterall… strangely got an error about tags, but for now ignoring it and proceeding with the rest of the tutorial.

Credential "awsjuju2" added locally for cloud "aws".

19:42:40 INFO  juju.juju api.go:67 connecting to API addresses: [jimm.jujucharms.com:443]
19:42:40 DEBUG juju.api apiclient.go:745 looked up jimm.jujucharms.com -> [162.213.33.244 162.213.33.88]
19:42:40 DEBUG juju.api apiclient.go:1092 successfully dialed "wss://jimm.jujucharms.com:443/api"
19:42:40 INFO  juju.api apiclient.go:624 connection established to "wss://jimm.jujucharms.com:443/api"
19:42:40 DEBUG juju.api apiclient.go:1092 successfully dialed "wss://jimm.jujucharms.com:443/api"
19:42:40 ERROR juju.cmd.juju.cloud updatecredential.go:422 "" is not a valid tag
19:42:40 WARN  cmd updatecredential.go:423 Could not parse credential tag ""
19:42:40 INFO  cmd updatecredential.go:438 Controller credential "" for user "myuser@external" for cloud "" on controller "jaas" added.
For more information, see ‘juju show-credential  ’.
19:42:40 DEBUG juju.api monitor.go:35 RPC connection died
19:42:40 INFO  cmd supercommand.go:525 command finished

thanks all!

1 Like

The experience watching your effort @emcp was a great way to see just how difficult it is getting to a working setup.

@timClicks I have taken alot of notes, but really the process of getting started is something we could really improve.

The complex process of onboarding people to jaas is another blocker for wider adoption which could be easily addressed in my opinion.

2 Likes

@erik-lonroth, @emcp Thank you both so much for taking the time to report this issue.

We’re committing to making this smoother.

Multiple @juju-developers are going to work through the tutorial from a blank machine early next week. We’ll be noting places where we make the experience smoother and creating a series of bug reports. We’ll add them to your list as that comes through.

3 Likes

This is super! I will share my notes here as soon as possible after I have assembled them.

@emcp might also want to chip in and we can re-run the tutorial multiple times aswell.

Coming in green/new is a great way to discover theses problems. Which normally is hard to find when you are experienced. So many thanx for the effort and patience @emcp.

1 Like

I just wanted to let everyone know that a fix is in the pipeline for the original issue mentioned by @emcp

3 Likes

@timClicks We have produced a video now which will be used for the Hack4Future event with @emcp being one of the mentors for developers and creators. I hope too, to be able to join.

I’m going post it later here.

I will share my comments here as we couldn’t quite make it through the tutorial as it was. We got stuck on the credentials part, which made me think perhaps creating separate videos for how to deal with that only for some common clouds. Its rather time consuming though…

My notes are here: https://nextcloud.lonroth.net/index.php/s/7NaanyoLiFJiwTG let me know if you want us to add thoughts.

1 Like

Really sorry about the frustrating credentials issue. Often getting started is the hardest part.

1 Like

No need to be sorry, but I hope we can take the issue of “onboarding new users/developers” alot more serious. Its getting a little better, but I think this is a big problem still.

I have spent alot of energy trying to get beginners on-boarded, thrown education sessions and I know this process is still so difficult, hurdly, errors and warnings, cryptic messages making juju really unfriendly to new users.

Is this an unknown problem to juju developers or what is the reason this is not getting enough attention?

What can I do to help?