Reviving the Trove Charm

Hello,

As you aware official Trove Charm support dropped a while ago.

https://github.com/openstack/charm-trove

However, I couldn’t find any documentation to make it running for the previous releases.

Currently, we able to update Trove Charm for Ussuri release and charm is at working state.

As we see Trove can create VMs however they are stuck at BUILD state. Also, we can not reach these VMs from the network (both ping and ssh).

Additionally, I enabled the third ethernet on the servers which are going to be used for accessing internal OpenStack APIs and RabbitMQ etc. I named mapped it as physnet2 and created a router earlier as I do for external floating IPs. However VMs couldn’t able to get connected to the local network.

I am waiting for your suggestions and help to solve that networking issue and making the charm working.

Thanks,

Any thoughts from @openstack-charmers?

1 Like

Hi tolgakaprol,
I don’t think the Trove charm was ever officially adopted so there may be lots of issues lurking in there, particularly as its been bit-rotting for a few years. Having said that, it sounds like you’ve already done some great work getting it up and running with Ussuri !

Its some years since I looked at Trove but I believe issues similar to the ones you are describing are usually down to a problem with the database image and the resulting guest not being able to communicate with the Trove service. So first up I would take a look at the Trove service logs and see if there is any evidence of the guest trying to communicate with them. Next I would sanity check the trove guest agent config in the image.

I’ve been working on my on time to look at bringing this back. To give you an idea I’ve had to rebuild the whole charm I used the masakari and aodh charm code to get a working code. My problem is I know nothing about git zuul or unit tests so I may need help trying to do validation and all that. Oh the worst part is the trove templates where all wrong. I’ll try get the code out but I would like this to be part of the openstack charmers to verify it first.