Questions from around the web this week - can you help with any of them?

Questions from Ask Ubuntu, Server Fault and Stack Overflow since 2020-02-24T00:00:00Z tagged with Juju.

askubuntu

How to Network to Kubernetes Behind MAAS

I have a router with MAAS behind it and Kubernetes behind the MAAS controller (it has 2 NICs — one connected to the Kubernetes and one connected to the router). I am trying to connect to a container in Kubernetes with an IP address of 10.12.0.2 from another computer on the router. However, I can't connect.

The MAAS controller has an IP address of 10.11.0.2 and I can connect to that just fine. However, the 10.12.0.0 network is not exposed to the router. How can I connect to the Kubernetes cluster from a computer connected to the router? Is there an automated way I can do this without having to manually bridge IPs in the MAAS for every new container? Also, can I do this in a way that has a minimal impact to the security that having a MAAS node inbetween the Kubernetes cluster and the router provides?

MAAS/JUJU openstack deployment slow Horizon

i have a small scale Openstack bionic-rocky deployed with MAAS/JUJU :

• 3x controller nodes (APIs, keystone, telemetry, monitoring… deployed in containers): 2 intel Xeon Silver 4112 quad core, 128 GB Ram, 2 To SSDs
  • 4x Hyperconverged nodes (Ceph-osd /Nova)
    However the issus i have is slow horizon performance, using chrome dev tools when fetching:
  • instances it can take up to 19s sometimes
  • Same for networks.
  • Volumes tab takes about 3s to load, which is fair enough.
    When i reboot my controllers the same request right away after reboot are much faster (2 to 3 seconds). However after 2 days or so everything go slow again.
    Any idea on how to solve this will be much appreciated.
    Best Regards,
    RZ

MaaS/DD-WRT Home Lab Set Up Questions

I am currently falling deep into the rabbit hole known as "doing things the right way". I have a few questions about a HomeLab network I'm trying to set up. The best way of describing the network would be with this diagram:

Network requirements:

1. The TVs set top boxes should work (I do have an Actiontec ONT ethernet adapter but I'm not sure if that will break the FiOS WiFi extenders/TV Set Top boxes)

2. The FiOS network should be sandboxed but still have the ability to connect to a Plex Media Server on the Kubernetes Cluster and the printer connected to the Nighthawk router.

3. Going to abc.domain.com should be served from the Kubernetes cluster and ldap.domain.com should be served from the MaaS NUC server

4. Computers connected to the DD-WRT Nighthawk router should be able to access the full network

5. DNS should be encrypyted across everything downstream from the FiOS Quantum Router

Questions

1. I have a web server that's behind MaaS that's behind DD-WRT that's behind a FiOS Quantum Router. DD-WRT serves the internet over the WLANs just fine when the routing mode is set to Gateway. However, I could not figure out how to double port forward 443 and 80 with a double NATted set up. I read that I should be using the Router type routing mode. However, when I do that, the computers on the LAN/WLAN lose internet. I read that I'm supposed to use static routes but I'm unsure how to set that up. Can anyone provide guidance?

2. I'd like to set up Plex Media Server on a server behind MaaS behind DD-WRT. I would also like to prevent guests on the FiOS Quantum router from accessing most of the DD-WRT network. However, I would like both networks to be able to access the Plex Media Server. How can I accomplish this?

3. I set up DNSCrypt using the DD-WRT GUI but when I go to this website: Cloudflare ESNI Checker | Cloudflare it says that I failed the "Encrypted SNI" test. How can I start passing that test?

4. I have an Actiontec ONT to Ethernet adapter. I am open to getting rid of the FiOS Quantum router and just using DD-WRT for everything. However, my roomies have extenders because they like to use Ethernet. If I take this route, can the set top boxes and extenders still work?

5. I would like to share the Printer/Hard Drive attached via USB to the DD-WRT to the whole network (including the FiOS Quantum network). How can I do this?

6. Most importantly, how can I improve this set up? What are the pros/cons of using this set up?

7. I realize this is a lot to squeeze into one question. I was thinking that I might be better off getting a gun for hire - I don't mind hiring someone. The question is, how can I find someone that would know how to network with DD-WRT and Ubuntu that can help me implement this over Skype?

stackoverflow

No questions for this period.

serverfault

No questions for this period.

I posted a response to the first one. The third one was too much to handle in one Stack Exchange post. Unfortunately I do not have enough hardware to deploy OpenStack with my current setup (am I missing any thing good :open_mouth:?)

1 Like

Thanks very much for stepping up and helping here. It’s really appreciated!

(I would also love some serious kit to play with :wink:)

1 Like