MicroStack and Local Network

I have worked a bit with the MicroStack (Multi‐node deployment) deployment. It’s a very nice experience to get started with OpenStack. Now I wanted to make the VM instances directly accessible from the local network (currently I can only access the default 10.20.20.0 network from the OpenStack hosts itself). I would assume there should be two ways of doing this:

1. enable a flat provider network (so that the instances can directly connect to the physical network instead of being in the virtual one)

2. allow routing from the local network into the internal virtual one

Some years ago I have played with Neutron and I remember that there is quite some configuration necessary on the controller and compute hosts to allow flat networks. So to enable option 1) I would be able to reconfigure the Neutron configuration (m2l, linux bridge agent, etc.). Yet I’m struggling a bit with this Snap package. I understand that the default snap configuration is read-only and I can only work in the user-data file system, but it seems my modifications in the user-data folder are not overwriting the overlay filesystem in “/var/snap/…”. Of cause I assume that I misunderstand something from Snap but I’m seriously not able to find a clear explanation of how to modify /etc files in snaps and check which files are actually active.

Concerning option 2) (allow routing into the 10.20.20.0 network): as I struggled with the modification of the MicroStack configuration I thought I might be just able to route into the network itself by setting some routes and allow ip_forwarding. Yet it seems that the VM instances are actually receiving by default IPs from the 192.168.0.0 network which is not reachable from the controller. Is there some routing configuration required to still enable access to the VM instances?