First steps with the Operator Framework

Thank you very much @cory_fu !

Is this post the place for getting started with the operator framework now? @jameinel @cory_fu ?

@chipaca or @jldev are also good people to ask, since they are driving the Operator framework.

My understanding is that they have been working on more official docs for the framework over the last month or so, but I don’t think those have been published yet.

1 Like

@jameinel I’m about to start learning operator now, so I’m kind of curious if I should wait before there is more polished docs?

I like very much the format that timClicks started here with very clear and hands on examples for the tasks that normally are part of the development process for a charm.

Looking forward to the (more) polished docs.

1 Like

There should be some clearer documentation being published later this week. Getting your eyes on it and helping with some feedback will certainly be appreciated.

1 Like

Absolutely! I’m taking my first steps here and have got some great help from @jamesbeedy and @jesse1517

I’ve also had a session today with a friend trying to learn. He finds it also a bit daunting because of lack of docs, but we’re trying to learn from each other. He made an implementation of my “master-worker” tutorial in operator framework as a learning experience and actually got through. But, yeah… docs. examples, templates, tutorials greatly needed.

Hi @erik-lonroth! Yes, we have developed way ahead of our documentation, and there will be some shiny new docs coming soon. I’m sure they won’t have all the answers at first, so we’re very open to feedback.

First, I’d like to point you at https://github.com/jlounder/training-operator - This is a simple k8s charm I’m slowly growing over time, as a way to facilitate training people who are new to charming. It has updated getting started information, and some minimal code examples. The new docs will be formatted to go along with this codebase, or something very similar to it.

Second, I’ll be doing live training sessions at KubeCon in less than two weeks (based on the above code). The event is free, it just requires pre-registration. Look for “Open Operator Day hosted by Canonical” on the KubeCon schedule: https://events.linuxfoundation.org/kubecon-cloudnativecon-north-america/program/schedule/

1 Like

Great work. Will there be some IaaS examples too since this is after all juju core?

My impression is the framework is pretty neutral to caas/iaas, because the event model is the same (lifecycle, integration, actions). Of course, what your Python does with an event is different on a machine or in a container, but the ideas and the bulk of the code would be the same.