Example configuraion bundle file Openstack with 12 machines on groups like Controller, Compute Storage

I built our first openstack by using Fuel Mirantis 2 years ago. Now I switch to use Maas and Juju for building the second. I searched a lot of articles on google, but i didn’t find the way to install Openstack by Juju bundle charm for 12 machines on the traditional way (seperate between 3-controller, 5-compute, 4-storage) . Does anybody build it ? . Could you give me some configuration example or articles ?. Will I use bundle or install on every server one by one.

Thanks for reading,
Ritzttk

Hi @ritzttk, I don’t think you’ll find bundle exactly fitted for 12 machines, but you could edit the bundle example to fit your use case.

I will also recommend checking out the OpenStack Charms Deployment Guide for more details in case you haven’t found that before.

1 Like

I recommend configuring the bundle.

You can use juju add-machine to register each computer, then map machines defined in the bundle to the machines available in your data center. That process is described in this page:

Thanks @szeestraten @timClicks
I had a little scare when discover a new thing as JuJu. Thanks for making me calm.
I edited from Openstack-base bundle to fit with 12 machines. Ubuntu Pastebin
After I add tags as constraint to juju. I can’t import back to Juju GUI, It show me error as " placement “lxd:8” refers to a machine not defined in this bundle,". I think I will deploy this file with “Juju deploy” by command line. Hoping it will be ok
I am learning the way to bind the network space with endpoint. But I can’t find out what is the endpoint ? . Example in Openstack-base bundle , what is the endpoint to bind with space ? , is it the relation ? .
This is my space information:

Name Space ID Subnets
admin-34 2 192.168.34.0/24
alpha 0
external-29 3 192.168.29.0/24
internal-28 4 192.168.28.0/24
overlay-31 5 192.168.31.0/24
public-30 6 192.168.30.0/24
storage-access-32 7 192.168.32.0/24
storage-replication-33 8 192.168.33.0/24
undefined 1 192.168.122.0/24
192.168.27.0/24

Thanks,
Ritzttk

That specific error says that there is no machine number 8 defined in the bundle.
The entries in the to: key in the applications (such as lxd:8) need to match a defined entry in the machines: section in the bottom.

Looking at the bundle, ceph-mon is placed on 'lxd:13' and most of rest are placed on 'lxd:8', but they are not defined in the machines: section. You’ll either have to define these machines or change the number in to: section of the applications.

P.S If you want to cluster and setup HA spread across multiple machines instead of just machine 8 and 13, then you should define it as multiple different machines (make sure to change to the appropriate machine numbers):

to:
      - 'lxd:8'
      - 'lxd:9'
      - 'lxd:10'
1 Like

Thanks @szeestraten
That is the file which I exported from juju gui. I don’t know why it insert all on machine 8 and 13 (which I didn’t create, I created from 0 - 12)
I do as your reply and I can import back to JuJu Gui now. It is Ubuntu Pastebin

Thanks a lot. This knowledge is very useful with me.
Ritzttk