A discourse bundle, anyone?

I’m looking for help setting up a ‘discourse forum’ website with let’s encrypt certificate (with ssl-termination-proxy? ) with some mailing service integration (mailgun or similar).

Does anyone have a comprehensive guide I can follow using juju/charms? A bundle with some description would be great but a guide would work too.

There are some good but legacy examples out there by for example @marcoceppi but that don’t cover the mail setup nor ssl/tls parts which I would love to get help with for my private server at home on MAAS.

Aprechiate any help here…

1 Like

@anthonydillon do you know if we have a bundle for how we’re hosting our own discourse that might be sharable at all?

2 Likes

That’s meta.

If anyone takes this on and posts links to source I will click and look.

1 Like

There isn’t a usable discourse bundle for deploying Discourse with Juju currently. Upstream strongly recommends deploying and managing Discourse in a particular way (using a docker image) that makes it incompatible with “standard” Juju charms.

We have plans to work on k8s charms which would much more closely align things with upstream, but that work hasn’t started yet and could be a few months at least until we have something to share. Will be sure to do so when we do, however.

2 Likes

Interesting. Is it possible to flesh this out? What is difficult for you to use a Docker image in an VM via Juju? I ask this, because once upon a time AFAICT, this was an intended use case for Juju.

1 Like

This isn’t what the current charm does, although obviously that’s possible. Rather than rewriting the charm to work in this way, we think it’s better to work on a k8s charm.

2 Likes

The Lucky charm framework that we at Katharos Technology are working on has built-in support for Docker and features for making writing Docker charms easy, so that could be another option that wouldn’t require Kubernetes.

It isn’t documented yet, but it’s almost ready to use and we’ll make sure there is comprehensive documentation as soon as it is.

1 Like

Understood. I was worried that you perceived a technical barrier.

2 Likes

For those following at home - Discourse charm for k8s